Although shampoo bars have been around several decades, recently, they have grown in popularity. Traditionally used by frequent travelers because of their compact packaging, shampoo bars are now emerging as a household staple. Are shampoo bars better than liquid shampoo?
What Are Shampoo Bars?
Shampoo bars are everything you love about liquid shampoo, but in a small, compact size without the added water. Although it looks more like a bar of soap, it is actually real shampoo in a different form. Instead of squeezing or pumping liquid shampoo into your hand, wet the shampoo bar to activate the suds and then wash your damp hair as you normally would. Shampoo bars come in various formulas to accommodate different hair types. The bars contain surfactants, which bond to the dirt and oils from your hair and allow them to be rinsed away. They effectively clean and nourish hair, but with a more eco-friendly packaging.
What Are the Benefits of Switching to a Shampoo Bar?
While there are pros and cons to most decisions, the benefits of switching to shampoo bars far outweigh the cons. We listed a few of the most important ones:
- Cost effectiveness. One shampoo bar is the equivalent of two bottles of traditional liquid shampoo. High-quality shampoo bars may also allow you to skip liquid conditioner, too, for an added cost benefit.
- Compact and convenient. If you are a frequent traveler, you may worry about the TSA liquid regulations or the mayhem caused by a spill in your travel bag. Shampoo bars easily eliminate both concerns. Since shampoo bars aren't liquid, they won't cause any issue at airport security checkpoints. They are in solid form, so no messy spills to worry about. Storing them in small bathrooms, RVs, or tiny homes is easy since they are compact and easily stackable.
- Eco-friendly. Switching to shampoo bars immediately reduces your plastic consumption. Replace big plastic shampoo bottles with small, environmentally friendly tins. The earth will thank you and so will your hair.
- Natural ingredients. Shampoo bars don't contain many of the chemicals necessary to produce and package liquid shampoo. Most shampoo bars are sulfate free and paraben free which means that it is better for your skin and hair and better for the environment.
- Variety. Just like with traditional shampoo, shampoo bars can be purchased for all types of hair. Rather than being stuck with the typical traditional shampoo scents, shampoo bars have more variety when it comes to fragrance- and we love it!
- Easy for kids. Gone are the days of kids dumping out the bottle of shampoo. Shampoo bars are easy for kids to use with no mess.
Be aware that once you make the switch, your hair may experience a transition period where it feels a bit heavy. This can also happen when you switch brands of shampoo and your hair should adjust with a few washings.
So, What's the Verdict?
We don't see any cons to switching to shampoo bars. They are decidedly better for both you and the environment. And the fun fragrances and colors packed into a cute little tin is the final selling point. Make the switch- you won't regret it.